Thursday, February 4, 2010

Down to the Nitty-Gritty

Well, I'm finally starting to really sink my teeth into this semester. I'm becoming more and more impressed with my classes, but especially English 215. It's a rudimentary class that, as I've said before, is essential to English majors but I just love the method of discourse in our class. We all arrange the tables in a circle and just discuss the reading we had due for that day. It hearkens back many fond memories of the Philosophy and Ethics course I took in high school, and honestly I think it's my favorite style of classroom participation. Not to mention the fact that in Week 2 we've already read essays on Aristotle and Marxist literary interpretation (and next week we cover Deleuze and Guattari, two VERY famous post-modern literary scholars).

We're currently reading The Brief and Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao bu Junot Diaz. It's one of those books that, prior to this class, I had been perpetually intending to purchase but never did. I'm only about 70 pages in thus far, but it's a great ride. The voice is so genuine and funny, but also deeply personal and intimate. You feel like Diaz wrote the book specifically for you, which is intriguing because as a writer I am aware of the difficulties of engaging your audience early on. It's nice to see examples of novels that have the ability to hook you and keep you on the line, to use a fishing metaphor.

I also came across a wonderful book at the Golda Meir Library a little while ago that attempts to interpret the works of Kurt Vonnegut through the lens of Postmodern analysis as well as chaos theory. Seeing as I'm a math and physics geek at heart, as well as a fan of Vonnegut, this book just seemed interesting. I've only read the introduction but it looks like it will be quite the treat!

I'm coming down with a rather unwelcome bout of writer's apathy (which is really just apathy) and haven't written recently. I'm going to take some time this evening to try finding potential writing prompts that'll kick-start my creative side. I haven't forgotten the point of this blog!

Off to read for my Philosophy of Art class. Until later!

No comments:

Post a Comment